The short answer, yes, it is safe to scan your documents on the Canoo app.
Here’s what happens once we scan your documents and why we need to do it:
- We need to scan your Permanent Resident Card or Citizenship Certificate to ensure that only people who are eligible for the program can sign up.
- We do not store any images of your documents. Our scanner reads details off your document on your phone locally using Optical Character Recognition.
- Once you have verified that the information, we captured is accurate, your membership record is added to our database stored in servers on Canadian soil. The details from your document are encrypted both in transit and when stored, so that no one can access it, including ourselves.
- The database is managed by an organization verified by the Canadian Government, subject to the Govt of Canada Controlled Goods program.
- While charities and non-profits are exempt from the Privacy Act or PIPEDA, we have been voluntarily using PIPEDA as the standard for compliance. Moreover, our data storage and privacy practices are built to meet the guidelines laid out in the IRCC privacy manual stemming from the federal Privacy Act.
- Finally, please note that we collect this information from you for delivering the program - we do not lease/sell any personally identifiable individual information.